The last decade has seen a shift in society’s perception around sugar and health, with far more people concerned about the content of their food. This has spawned a wealth of scientific research, which has largely remained inaccessible to the average person. Today’s guest is changing this with her new book, Glucose Revolution. Jessie Inchauspé is a biochemist and author who also created the Glucose Goddess Instagram page, where she translates the latest science on blood sugar into easy tips for everyone. She joins us today to talk about what it took to write Glucose Revolution and all the behind-the-scenes nitty-gritty. We discover how her progress diary inspired the introduction to Glucose Revolution, and how the experience of breaking her back when she was 19 shaped her. Hear what the four classic symptoms are of being disconnected from your body (hunger, cravings, sleepiness, and poor energy levels), and how three crazy events in rapid succession convinced her it was time to write the book. Jessie shares the process of writing the book, from where she started (a lot of sticky notes!) to her gratitude to the editors and the magic that they work. You’ll also find out how writing has clarified Jessie’s thinking and improved her science, as well as how her Instagram persona has changed over the last year. Tune in to learn where Jessie plans on going from here, what to expect from the book, who should read it (everyone!), and so much more!
Key Points From This Episode:
- How Jessie and Andrés landed on this podcast, talking about stuff no one else will!
- Making science and the different attitudes between Jessie’s book and Instagram.
- The importance of a progress diary and why you should have one.
- Reflecting on how Jessie’s past brought her to where she is now, and feeling ‘split’.
- How changing your lifestyle can prevent you from feeling disconnected from your body.
- Classic symptoms people ignore: hunger, cravings, sleepiness, and poor energy levels.
- The crazy things that happened to inspire Jessie to write the book!
- How the stress of writing the book finally got to Jessie and her experience of splitting.
- What Jessie wrote first, and how the content was switched around.
- The most exciting aspects of writing a book: learning, creating a story, and making jokes.
- Why Jessie feels writing this book made her a better scientist.
- Who can read the book: everyone!
- How the Glucose Goddess persona has changed over the last year.
- What the next book will be about; linking in mental health.
- A story about getting the endorsements for the book!
- Where Jessie finds her inspiration for content creation.
- Why the book is designed to go where Instagram can’t.
- What you can expect to learn about Jessie from the book.
- Why this book is designed for anybody who doesn’t wake up feeling amazing.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: