I spent 9 years taking Adderall, 3 years taking pre-workout, and only g-d knows how many times I depended on others to motivate me in school, in the gym, and at home.
Trust me: do everything you can to harness intrinsic motivation.
Intrinsic motivation is defined as the doing of activities for internal satisfaction rather than external rewards.
Even on the highest prescribed dose of the world’s most potent pharmaceutical drug for external motivation, I got mediocre results, and the side-effects were absolutely fucking terrible:
I spent years suffering with anxiety, insecurity, body dysmorphia, a stutter that made me terrified of public speaking, very low body weight, insomnia, and OCD.
It wasn’t until I quit cold-turkey, reflected deeply on things that gave me a deep sense of meaning, and doubled down on everything the meds had robbed me of (nutrition, sleep, social life) that I was able to get a grip and eventually reach escape velocity.
Here’s what I learned:
- We are all so fucking unique, and so long as we remain curious about who we are, we can identify and leverage our unique strengths.
- After having the curiosity to get to know ourselves, we must have the courage to be ourselves.
- To be the best at anything you must have an insatiable quench to fulfill your life’s purpose. If it’s not insatiable, you haven’t yet found your purpose.
- Say “NO” to everything the masses are doing. Most people don’t know how to eat, sleep, pick their career, find their soulmate, talk to anyone, protect themselves, etc.
- Say “YES” to self-discovery, personal growth, loving others deeply, the pursuit of meaning, being in nature, sunlight, whole food, good sleep, sex and laughter, becoming stronger, and getting to Know Your Physiology: the very science that makes you who you are.
The more you #KnowYourPhysio…
#IntrinsicMotivation #GetMotivated #HighPerformance #PeakPerformance #PositivePsychology #GetShitDone ...