In today’s episode, we get together with best-selling author, online entrepreneur, and podcaster Siim Land. Siim is an expert in topics ranging from health and fitness to productivity and mindset. His ideas involve human life enhancement through body-mind empowerment and he has written a range of books on the topic like Metabolic Autophagy and The Immunity Fix which he wrote with co-author Dr. James DiNicolantonio. We kick things off by hearing from Siim about his experiences growing up on a small island in the Baltic Sea and how living in such a rural and natural environment shaped him. Siim shares how serving in the military at an early age taught him independence and cultivated his willpower and mental discipline. Next, we dive into the topic of autophagy, a process of intracellular recycling that has a host of benefits, including increased longevity. Siim explains why it makes evolutionary sense to have developed this process and how modern life undermines our body’s ability to access a state of autophagy. Siim explains how intermittent fasting and exercise are excellent methods for accessing this state and how he implements them in his daily life. We delve into the importance of exercise for optimal health, why resistance training is particularly beneficial and how to find a balance between exertion and achieving autophagy. The benefits of exercise extend to productivity. The flow state is known as the sweet spot where you are so immersed in something that you lose track of time. Siim shares how he has formed habits to help him enter a state of flow and how exercise can assist in that process. We loved having Siim on the show, join us today for stimulating conversation on autophagy, strength, flow state, and productivity!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Introducing today’s guest Siim Land
- We hear about Siim’s experience growing up on a small Baltic island.
- How Siim’s experiences in the military cultivated his willpower and mental discipline.
- Siim’s partnership with Dr. James Dinic and how they co-authored The Immunity Fix.
- The process of autophagy and how to activate it through methods like fasting or calorie restriction.
- Why autophagy makes sense from an evolutionary perspective and how the process is undermined by our modern lifestyle.
- How to find the right balance of maintaining muscle growth, but also getting the benefits of autophagy.
- How intermittent fasting is the easiest way to find a balance between muscle growth and autophagy.
- How resistance training signals to the body that it needs to build muscle.
- How the food quality is different in Europe versus America due to regulation disparities.
- Habits that are conducive to achieving a state of flow, like eliminating distractions.
- The benefits of power naps and how Siim implements them in his routine.
- How finding meaning is an essential motivator.
- Siim shares how he uses his free time and what he incorporates into his morning routine.
- The role that meditation plays in Siim’s routine.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: