034: Mastering the Female Biorhythm, Biohacking the Menstrual Cycle, and Optimizing Women Empowerment with Kayla Osterhoff MPH, PhD
Welcome to another episode of Know Your Physio! Joining us in conversation today is Kayla Osterhoff, who teaches us that it’s never too late or too early for women to learn about their biorhythm, and live a healthier, more empowered life because of it. Tune in to hear about Kayla’s academic and professional background and the personal experiences that motivated her to focus on women’s health. She describes the female biorhythm as the pace that the female body is set to, and tells us why, even as a health scientist, she didn’t know how to be healthy; all the research was based on male biology! Kayla tells us why she has chosen to work independently with private partners, rather than pursuing a career with the government, and tells us the difference between the female hormonal cycle and the female biorhythm, before teaching us about the four phases of the biorhythm cycle, all with one shared key: to go with the flow of your body. She considers the female biorhythm to be a huge biohack that sets women apart for success and gives listeners some interesting tips on how to optimize each cycle and see results. We touch on the benefits and dangers of a ketogenic diet and talk about the technology Kayla has patented in the past year to go live in 2022. Kayla also tells us why biohacking is so much more important for women than it is for men. Thanks for listening! We hope you gained insight into your physiology today.
Key Points From This Episode:
- We welcome today’s guest, Kayla Osterhoff.
- Kayla’s background in health sciences, leading up to pursuing her Ph.D. in neuro psychophysiology with a focus on women’s neuropsychology and physiology specifically.
- How Kayla’s own experience with healthcare feeds into the work that she does today.
- Kayla’s definition of the female biorhythm: the pace that the female body is set to.
- Why even as a health scientist, she didn’t know how to be healthy: all the research was based on male biology.
- How she ended up with adrenal fatigue and total burnout.
- Why it is impossible to push the envelope in the sciences while working for government organizations.
- The difference between the female hormonal cycle and the female biorhythm.
- What the four phases of the biorhythm cycle are: the Shed Phase, the Plants Phase, the Bloom Phase, and the Grow Phase.
- The key: to go with the flow of your body.
- A biohack for the first phase: cold thermogenesis and mindfulness practice.
- Why the female biorhythm is a huge biohack that sets women apart for success.
- How the ketogenic diet can be beneficial in certain phases and harmful in others.
- The technology that Kayla has patented in the past year to go live in 2022.
- Why biohacking is more important for women than men.
- How it is never too late or too early for women to learn about their biorhythm.
- An even more underserved people group: the trans community.
- Why you have to develop a system that aligns with your specific biorhythm.
- Your special discount code: APKayla.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Support the show (https://www.buymeacoffee.com/andrespreschel)