Our guest for today is Kabir Parker—marine biologist, University of Miami graduate, master freediver, and conscious spearfisherman. After realizing that doing scientific research alone is like diagnosing a problem but not fixing it, he decided to take a more active role to protect the oceans and marine life through entrepreneurship. Through his Instagram and Youtube, he educates people while taking them on diving and spearfishing adventures.
In this episode, Kabir and Andres dive into some of the research that Kabir is involved in. They also share freediving and spearfishing techniques that can also be used for stress management and relaxation. Finally, Kabir presents a sustainable approach to eating seafood and offers tips on choosing reef-safe sunscreen so that people can lower their carbon footprint.
- 04:00 – Kabir’s venture into seaweed agriculture
- 06:13 – Okeanos®, developer of Made From Stone™
- 08:10 – On making a significant positive impact on the ocean
- 09:21 – Why he became a marine biologist
- 13:30 – Meditation as a tool for freediving and spearfishing
- 18:21 – America’s approach to sustainable seafood
- 21:00 – Best options for reef-safe sunscreen
- 23:55 – Kabir’s advice to aspiring marine biologists
- 25:20 – Kabir and Andres’ experience spearfishing in the Bahamas